Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Don't Build a Bear

This is not a typical Vincent Loves post:


"You are much too beautiful to be drinking alone, much less shedding tears". I said to the woman at the bar as I handed her my silk handkerchief. "May I be of some assistance?"
"I don't know." she said as she wiped away the tears. "I just don't see how he could do this to me after all I've done for him."
I sat down beside her and ordered a glass of wine as she began to recount her tale:
"When I first met Michael he was in a bad way. He was broke and disheartened, but he had a wonderful mind and so much to offer. All he needed was for someone to believe in him and help him realize his potential. After a few months of dating I set about the business of upgrading him. I bought him some nice business suits and shoes, a few bottles of expensive cologne and even threw in a little cosmetic dentistry. I introduced him to a few of my business contacts and within a few months time he was generating leads and sealing deals on his own. In less than a year he was well on his way towards a six figure income.
"Let me guess, he suddenly wanted out of the relationship?" I said.
"Yes, and I was his biggest supporter! How dare he do this to me!"
Giving her my opinion wasn't going to be easy, but I took a sip of my wine and proceeded.
"What you did, my dear, was "Build a Bear"
When you first found your man, he was  not too impressive. An empty shell. You believed, though, that he had the potential to be so much more if he were only "stuffed" with positive things like encouragement, cologne, expensive suits and shoes... you were building a bear... Your intentions were noble, just misplaced"
" I just thought I was helping a man who would reciprocate when he got on his feet."
"Yes, but what you actually did was empower a man to regain his swagger and suddenly realize you weren't good enough for him anymore. Money and options are inseparable. The actions you took should be reserved for a husband only."
"I bet I never make that mistake again!" she said.
"I needed to hear that. You must be a therapist.How much do I owe you?
"This one's on me." I said as I paid our tab and walked away.
Sometimes gifts of charity are good for the soul.
Tip for the Day: Don't build a bear, find someone and build a life.

No comments:

Post a Comment